Re: [Handle-info] Migrate from 6.x to 9 :: What's the best way

In the Handle Technical Manual (http://www.handle.net/tech_manual/HN_Tech_Manual_9.pdf), the short Chapter 2 has everything you need to upgrade.  It could be very simple, as simple as

(1) Stop the handle server process.
(2) Run the new server software on the same server directory.

but the manual has some (minor) recommendations for configuration changes.  If you are using SQL storage, you won't want to "ensure the use of BDBJE storage" in any case.

Your existing prefixes and URLs will all work as before.  This is not a zero-downtime approach, but is probable a few-minutes downtime at most.

If you want no downtime, you'll want to set up a mirror server first -- Chapter 7 in the Handle Technical Manual.  This is also the most straightforward answer to your question about "handle server cluster".  You could set up a mirror using the v9 software while your primary still runs v6.  Reach out to hdladmin@cnri.reston.va.us if you run into any trouble, and when you are ready to advertise your mirror for public resolution, and also if you need to coordinate a zero-downtime upgrade.

For completeness I'll mention one other approach both to upgrading and clustering, since you are using external SQL storage: you could set up a new handle server, or multiple handle servers, talking to the same SQL backend.  This is not replication -- there's just one storage, but the storage is shared by multiple handle server processes.  If your SQL backend has sufficient replication itself, this could be simpler than setting up replication at the handle server level.  Again, reach out to  hdladmin@cnri.reston.va.us if you need assistance.

Robert