Best practices for test handles

Hi all,

We run an application that assigns handles to datasets to make them
persistently identifiable. We have a production system and a sandbox
system, and whereas the production system must register the handles, the
sandbox datasets are expected to not be persistent and therefore the
assigned handles are not expected to be persistent.

Are there any best practices for handle in a sandbox environment?
For example, assign the handle, but not register it? Use a template
handle that always resolves to a message "this is a sandbox dataset"?
Have strict procedures to update the handle to point to a "this used to
resolve to sandbox dataset" message?

Thanks for your advice.

Regards,

Ben

--

Ben Companjen
Information systems engineer / Information manager

Data Archiving and Networked Services (DANS)
DANS promotes sustained access to digital research data. See www.dans.knaw.nl for more information and contact details. DANS is an institute of KNAW and NWO.

DANS | Anna van Saksenlaan 51 | 2593 HW The Hague | P.O. Box 93067 | 2509 AB The Hague | +31 70 349 44 50 | info@dans.knaw.nl | www.dans.knaw.nl