Re: [Handle-info] Problems building Client Library (ver. 5) -- C Version

On Tue, March 30, 2010 7:12 pm, lfinsto@gwdg.de wrote:

> On Tue, March 30, 2010 6:04 pm, Robert Tupelo-Schneck wrote:
>> This version works for me on my Mac and my Ubuntu VM.  Do you have any
other systems you can try it on?

> Yes, there are other systems here.  However, I probably won't get around
to trying this until after Easter.

I've tried installing the C-API on another machine today.  I don't have
root permissions on this machine, so I called configure using prefix=$PWD

I got the following warnings:

config.status: WARNING:  Makefile.in seems to ignore the --datarootdir
setting
config.status: creating test/Makefile
config.status: WARNING:  test/Makefile.in seems to ignore the
--datarootdir setting
config.status: creating perl/Makefile
config.status: WARNING:  perl/Makefile.in seems to ignore the
--datarootdir setting
config.status: creating perl/Makefile.PL
config.status: creating config.h

Building handle admin support: yes
Building perl module: yes

*************

`make' worked fine, but when I tried to run `make install', I got the
following warning:

*************

Warning: You do not have permissions to install into
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.3/i586-linux-thread-multi at
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.3/ExtUtils/Install.pm line 114.
mkdir /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.3/i586-linux-thread-multi/auto/hdllib: Keine
Berechtigung at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.3/ExtUtils/Install.pm line 176
make[3]: *** [pure_perl_install] Fehler 255
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/home/gwdg1/GWDG/lfinsto/handle_c_api/hcc-5.3.3/perl'
make[2]: *** [install-data-local] Fehler 2
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/home/gwdg1/GWDG/lfinsto/handle_c_api/hcc-5.3.3/perl'
make[1]: *** [install-am] Fehler 2
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/gwdg1/GWDG/lfinsto/handle_c_api/hcc-5.3.3/perl'
make: *** [install-recursive] Fehler 1

*************

I found the shared library file  hdllib.so in

[...]/handle_c_api/hcc-5.3.3/perl/blib/arch/auto/hdllib.

I added a symbolic link to it named `libhdl.so', so using `-lhdl' would
work.  I don't know if it's possible to link with a shared library that
doesn't follow this convention;  I'd have to look it up.  I set
`LD_LIBRARY_PATH' and `LIBRARY_PATH' (just to be sure) and the linker
seemed to find the shared library file. However, when I called

gcc -I/home/gwdg1/GWDG/lfinsto/handle_c_api/hcc-5.3.3/include/hdl -lhdl
hsaddvals.c

I got the following errors:

/tmp/ccO8WT7n.o(.text+0x154): In function `main':
: undefined reference to `HDLAddValues'
/home/gwdg1/GWDG/lfinsto/handle_c_api/hcc-5.3.3/perl/blib/arch/auto/hdllib/libhdl.so:
undefined reference to `Perl_croak_nocontext'
/home/gwdg1/GWDG/lfinsto/handle_c_api/hcc-5.3.3/perl/blib/arch/auto/hdllib/libhdl.so:
undefined reference to `Perl_sv_setiv'
/home/gwdg1/GWDG/lfinsto/handle_c_api/hcc-5.3.3/perl/blib/arch/auto/hdllib/libhdl.so:
undefined reference to `Perl_sv_2pv_flags'

[...]

This would seem to fit in with these perl things (whatever they are) not
being installed in the proper place.  I took a look at the `Makefile.am'
files, but it was not immediately apparent to me what was causing the
problem.

It would seem that it's only possible to install the package if one has
root permissions and can write to the `/usr/lib/perl5/[...]'.

Would it be possible for someone to fix this, or does anyone know a way to
work around this problem?

Thanks,

Laurence

>> Robert
>>> There's an existing application programmed in Java where I work and
there's no real need for me to use the C API.  However, I prefer C to
Java
>>> and wanted to try it out.
>>> I'm afraid not.  I got the same problem with `-fPIC' and `libtool'. If
I feel ambitious, I may try to figure out what's going wrong.
Otherwise, unless someone has an idea, I'll just use the Java API.
Thanks again,