Re: [Handle-info] Fwd: Handle custom type registration

Hi,

Someone at CNRI will post a more elaborate response to this later, but I think this is fundamentally correct, with a few caveats.

o Assigning handles to types is a good idea.

o The exact syntax of the handle is not so important. If you put 'TYPE' on the left side of the slash, you have to have the ability to create a new prefix or you have to pay for a new prefix. That may not be ideal if you are only creating one or two handles. Putting 'TYPE' on the right side would be fine, or just skip the 'TYPE' string all together.

o More important is the ability to publish a set of types and for others to find them. Wheel re-invention, etc. Our to-do list here includes establishing a searchable type registry, and we will do so unless someone beats us to it.

o While the boundaries are a little fuzzy, the 0.TYPE prefix should be restricted to types that are used at the handle system core, i.e., what the system itself needs to function. We've probably already violated that ourselves (URL) but will try to keep to that principle in the future. What is then open for debate is what constitutes the core. Admin types are clearly in, but what about XML schemas for the values of common handle types?

o Not quite sure what this

The Handle server dedicated to types should be named with the
suffix ".TYPE".

means.

Larry