[Handle-info] Moving away from handle.net handles

Hi Stuart,

The International Generic Sample Number (IGSN, igsn.org) recently moved away from Handles to DOIs. The decision was an outcome of the IGSN 2040 project that looked at the sustainability of IGSN's mode of operation and technical infrastructure. https://www.igsn.org/igsn-2040/

IGSN e.V. is an international, non-profit organisation with more than 20 members, which has operated a central registration system for IGSNs since 2011. The IGSN is a globally unique and persistent identifier for physical samples. The core purpose of IGSN is to enable transparent and traceable connections between research activities and objects, including samples, collections, instruments, grants, data, publications, people and organisations.

IGSN and DataCite have a common purpose, and a close relationship in the future will provide mutual benefit to our shared vision of connecting research and identifying knowledge. The partnership brings years of experience across our organisations and communities to scale sample community engagement, develop sample identifier practice standards, and increase adoption globally.

Under the partnership, DataCite will provide the IGSN ID registration services and supporting technology to enable the ongoing sustainability of the IGSN PID infrastructure. The IGSN e.V. will facilitate a Community of Communities to promote and support new research and innovation for standard methods of identifying, citing, and locating physical samples. The partnership allows IGSN to leverage DataCite DOI registration services and to focus community efforts on advocacy and expanding the global samples ecosystem.

For more details, see https://doi.org/10.5438/7z70-1155.

The transition took a couple of months to work out the procedure, harmonise the metadata, re-register the IGSN IDs in the DOI system, and alias the legacy Handles to DOIs. Physical samples now make up a significant proportion of DataCite DOIs. https://metadatagamechangers.com/blog/2023/7/17/how-many-when-update

Cheers,

Jens

--
Jens Klump
Group Leader, Exploration Through Cover  |  CSIRO