Re: [Handle-info] Using preexisting prefix for multi-institution repository

Nothing prohibits multiple institutions from sharing a prefix.  However, a prefix is the level at which a handle client finds a handle service.  If at some later point in time, the different institutions want to serve their handles using different handle services, it will be harder if they are sharing a prefix.  (A typical solution in such a case would be to assign a new prefix, recreate all the handles for an institution using the new prefix, and then trust the original hosting institution to maintain aliases for handles with the original prefix which point at the new handles with the new prefix.)

Note that if you do choose to use multiple prefixes, you can (in general) still choose to host all the handles at the same handle service.  So you wouldn't necessarily need to run more handle servers.

Robert