Re: [Handle-info] is rfc3651 still up to date?

Hello Gerhard,

for similar use cases ("make some sense of the HS_SITE elements of prefixes) we have set up the 'SiteInfo service' [1] .
This helps our users to understand, which service is responsible for particular prefixes.
It also has a non-documented JSON interface for machine-actionable output (used by our monitoring systems to understand which mirror service replicates from which primaries).

Some time ago we moved away from RFC3651 (as of Nov 2003) and for our development work we have been consulting the source code of the Handle.Net software to understand the latest changes in various entries - I just name examplary the type 'HS_SITE.PREFIX'.
(We also started to draft some internal documentation in the style of RFC3651 about the new entries, but never finished. :) )

Our particular interest were the classes [2] that are responsible for resolution (check out SiteInfo.java, Encoder.java, etc).
Those are the classes, which are also used by the 'web server' you were also mentioning.

Having said this, the source code can be of help if you just need to understand how the latest implementation deals with various data types in details, but it is of course not an accepted definition of types.

[1] https://pidconsortium.net/siteinfo/
[2] https://www.handle.net/hnr-source/api-javadoc/net/handle/hdllib/package-summary.html

All the best,
Tibor

Dr. Tibor Kalman
Group eScience
T: +49 551 201-1541, E-Mail: tibor.kalman@gwdg.de

Gesellschaft für wissenschaftliche Datenverarbeitung mbH Göttingen (GWDG)
Am Faßberg 11, 37077 Göttingen, URL: https://www.gwdg.de

Support: Tel.: +49 551 201-1523, URL: https://www.gwdg.de/support
Sekretariat: Tel.: +49 551 201-1510, Fax: -2150, E-Mail: gwdg@gwdg.de

Geschäftsführer: Prof. Dr. Ramin Yahyapour
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Prof. Dr. Norbert Lossau
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Göttingen
Registergericht:  Göttingen, Handelsregister-Nr. B 598

Zertifiziert nach ISO 9001