Re: [Handle-info] https for hdl.handle.net

The Handle System doesn't compel domain adopters to maintain the
Handle "brand." Since browsers and other client applications cannot be
assumed to be reliable Handle System clients --- you can't rely on a
browser knowing what to do with "hdl:11234/1-1548" --- it really is up
to the adopter to decide how they want their Handles to be socialized,
esp. for citation purposes (which is the key point here).

Within their own application space, the adopter does have a choice:
they can show the identifier as "hdl:11234/1-1548" but anchor as
http://hdl.handle.net/11234/1-1548, or they could simply show the
latter. The IEEE does the former; they show
"DOI:10.1109/JIOT.2014.2306328" but link to the proxy version,
http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/JIOT.2014.2306328

Much ado about nothing (or at least not much), really, since both
forms function as unique identifiers...

John

--
John S. Erickson, Ph.D.
Director of Operations, The Rensselaer IDEA