[Handle-info] Unable to home a primary (v7.0)

Hi all,

I am an experienced UNIX user but new to the handle system and started at the deep end by bringing up a local handle primary (v7.0) for a new prefix.
Following the INSTALL.txt closely, everything went well up to the point where I "home" the server for the prefix.
The error that keeps occurring is:
        received HDL-TCP response: Error(400): INVALID ADMIN
but I am quite sure I use the correct admpriv.bin file and password.
I do see the error log from the client (hdl-admintool) but I cannot find any log lines from the server. How do I make the server more verbose?

Before I post logs and screenshots, I would like to know if anyone else had encountered a similar problem.
Is there a non-GUI (command-line) tool to home a server?
Any help is appreciated, including hints on how to proceed.

Minor detail: I run hdl-admintool on a different host because X11 is not installed on the server -- should not be a problem.
Another detail: I use openjdk's Java on the server -- should not be a problem.

Regards, Markus.