[Handle-info] Suggest 303 for dx.doi,org

Hi Eric:

> You could use 303 if no URL is found but only other data,
> but then, where would you redirect if there is no URL...?
>
> Apart from that, I think the 302 should stay 302 for now.

I think the problem here is distinguishing between what a global handle
gateway might return and what a specific handle gateway returns. Maybe its a
handle application problem.

DOI is one handle application.

DOI also has multiple registration agents with their own take on DOI. As a
marketing ploy it may be useful to paint DOI as some kind of protean object
that can fit to any use case. In engineering terms (and more specifically in
semantic engineering applications) this just will not do. DOI risks to mean
nothing.

I don't think handle can enforce a single semantics across all its
applications. OTOH, DOI as one very targeted handle application can - and
should - deliver a straightforward semantics.

I would suggest that dx.doi.org be reconfigured to return a 303. This would
have no impact on other handle applications e.g. DSpace (which will have its
own view of what a handle means).

So, this is IMO a DOI problem - and not a handle problem per se.

Tony

DISCLAIMER: This e-mail is confidential and should not be used by anyone who is
not the original intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in error
please inform the sender and delete it from your mailbox or any other storage
mechanism. Neither Macmillan Publishers Limited nor any of its agents accept
liability for any statements made which are clearly the sender's own and not
expressly made on behalf of Macmillan Publishers Limited or one of its agents.
Please note that neither Macmillan Publishers Limited nor any of its agents
accept any responsibility for viruses that may be contained in this e-mail or
its attachments and it is your responsibility to scan the e-mail and
attachments (if any). No contracts may be concluded on behalf of Macmillan
Publishers Limited or its agents by means of e-mail communication. Macmillan
Publishers Limited Registered in England and Wales with registered number 785998
Registered Office Brunel Road, Houndmills, Basingstoke RG21 6XS